About Me

My photo
Fresno, CA, United States
I'm an Artist I guess... But time and time again I have found myself finding and collecting bits and pieces of junk and things that one else wants. Things that just end up in my mailbox... So, I have decided to post it here, for no good reason at all. Now for some useless stuff and art, I guess.

The Old Stuff

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Refinished AK74S Hand Grips

The AK74S right arm of the Russian Red Army and a favorite of Russian Airborne Troops. Reliable, strong, rugged, and firing the 5.45x39mm intermediate rifle cartridge just as deadly if not more so then the old AK47.

Well luckily for everyone this is just the airsoft version of that weapon made by the Dboys company in China. For those of you that don't know I am a big gun and airsoft nut, but that is another story. I bought this bad boy not to long ago and notice that will the Chinese wood finish was nice, but it would not hold up to regular field use.



This is just an example of the original factory wood finish that came with the gun. I will also mention that the pic showen above is not my gun.

There where a few other things about the original finish that I did not like. One was that it chipped way to easily, you could probably rub the finish of with your hands of you really tried. In matter of fact I wrapped the sling around hand grad during one game and took some of the original finish off. The other thing was that the original factory finish was a little to shinny, compared to a real AK. This is because most military stocks are finished with Linseed Oil, where as the Dboys is not. Lastly the grips where way to smooth which is not too bad, but does make handling a little harder when your hands are sweaty or wet.

So long story short, I decide to refinish the wood to get a more realistic feel out of my AK, here are the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers